Ware 2-0 Waltham Forest (inc. Match Highlights)

Ware finally broke their league duck at the seventeenth attempt with a two goal victory over Waltham Forest.

The visitors started lively with Adrian Clifton heading over at the back post from a Corey Whiteley cross as early as the second minute. Shortly afterwards Whiteley had a great chance of his own when he was found in the box but he slashed his shot wide of the goal.

Rhys Madden was called into action when Ross Clemo was robbed by Kery Kedze, the Ware stopper standing up well to foil his opponent.

At the other end Ware’s first chance fell to Jon Stevenson from an Elliot King corner with the towering centre back heading the ball goal wards to be denied by Aaron Omand in the Forest goal.

Nathan Hilaire got in behind but was forced wide, making him cross to Jimmy Martin who put wide from close range, his blushes spared by an offside flag.

Six minutes before the break Waltham Forest were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which Whiteley bent around the wall and crashed against the crossbar with Madden rooted.
Within a minute the ball was down the other end with Ricci Crace turning former Ware defender Matt Waldron inside out and burying left footed into the bottom corner of the net off the inside of Omand’s left hand post.

Omand had to be alert early in the second period to deny King after he had combined well with Hilaire.
Clifton shot tamely into the arms of Madden from the edge of the box following some good work from Kedze, before Tunde Adewunmi turned a low cross wide of the target.

Tony Martin was introduced up front in place of Hilaire and made an immediate impact within a minute. He got himself on the end of Martin Standen’s through ball, out muscled his marker and side footed home to double the lead.

Luke Stanley tried to half the arrears by bundling his way through the Ware defence and it looked like he was going to do it when he toe poked the ball past Madden, but Josh Smith got round to cover and clear the ball to safety.

The shine of Ware’s win was somewhat taken away with the late dismissal of debutant Standen, who was brought down on the halfway line by Waldron, but reacted angrily with his head and leaving referee Mr Moore no option to send him off.

Report: warefc.co.uk
Image: Ian Bush

Other Articles

Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar