Veterans end Vincitori’s 35 game winning run to lift Essex Sunday Cup

Forest upset the form book by coming from behind to win an exciting final at Great Wakering last Sunday. Vincitori went into the game with 35 consecutive victories behind them having already won the Southend Borough Combination Premier Division, and this was the first of 3 cup finals in their diary.

Vincitori started the stronger and only some desperate defending by the Forest rearguard kept them at bay. Forest were to lose central defender Baki Surak after just 30 minutes when he came off worst in a strong challenge, and on 34 minutes the Basildon-based side took the lead when a left wing cross was volleyed home.

Vincitori thought they had doubled their lead minutes later when a free kick found the top left corner, but referee Brett Grant had not signalled for the kick to be taken; the second attempt was wide of the mark. Forest keeper Ismet Turkoglu was forced to make more saves before the half-time whistle.

After the break Forest came more into the game as an attacking force and levelled on the hour when captain Adar Turgut’s low drive from the edge of the box eluded Denton in the Vincitori goal.

The game flowed from end-to-end with Forest doing well to keep the score level with a couple of goalline clearances, but a break down the left on 75 minutes saw a cross from Kuksal flicked home by Sezai Tasci.

Forest continued to pack their defence as their opponents battled to get on terms, but the back line of Catoun, Arasan and Kazim Aslan held firm.

A long clearance on 88 minutes found Tasci on the half way line and he ran clear to score a third decisive goal for Forest.

Forest dedicated this victory to late chairman Turgut Esendagli as their run in the competition started the Sunday after he passed away.

Forest will have the Cup on display after their League match against London Maccabi on Easter Sunday, kick-off 10.30 at Matchday Stadium, Wadham Lodge, Kitchener RoadE17 4LL.

Other Articles

Veterans News