On this day: 9th February

The victory against the 2nd Middlesex Regiment in the Essex Senior Cup saw Leyton through to the 4th round. They’d eventually reach the final, beating Harwich and Parkeston 1-0 in a final replay, after drawing the first game 1-1. A fixture backlog that season meant Leyton would play 11 games in April and three in May. Perhaps a three-game tour of the Channel Islands over the Easter weekend wasn’t the best idea.

In 2002, Leyton Pennant and Horsham fought out one for the ages. The opening of the report on the Horsham website reads “An explosive clash threatened to escalate into all out war at Queen Street, A boisterous crowd did little to help the atmosphere on the pitch and the nineteen-man pile-up in injury time that led to the dismissal of Pennant’s Jay Notley was inevitable.”

It goes on: “[Jamie] Richards was booked for a particularly ruthless challenge. [Jermain] Hughes made himself deeply unpopular when he kicked Carney as he lay on the floor and Dennis was getting chopped constantly.

“A series of fouls by Underhill on Dennis down the right flank was enraging the crowd and ten seconds into the second half Leyton substitute Notley put in a dreadful high and late tackle on Carney. With the visitors intent on kicking lumps out of anyone standing in their way, Horsham were struggling to play their game”

“Worse was to come, however, with [Sam] Underhill’s scything tackle on substitute Ben Jones who had hardly been on the pitch five minutes. Underhill was booked, but Jones had to leave the field. Hughes went in chest-high on Chatfield.

“First Hughes seemed to elbow Hardy in the face and minutes later in the same position, right in front of the home support, Notley also caught Carney on the head.”

That season was no doubt one where the club were called before the FA to explain their lack of discipline. But it was difficult to argue with the results; Pennant finished sixth that season under the guidance of Colin Richards, only five points off the top three. Richards’ side also reached the third round of the FA Vase, a run which remains the club’s best in that competition.

The 2008 game against Ware (pictured) was the eighth in a run of nine games without a win which dragged Waltham Forest into a relegation battle. Forest started well, but a first half red card for Chris Lapierre for a kick stopped any hopes of three points, and Ware strolled to a comfortable victory.

A win came a couple of weeks later, 2-0 against Potters Bar, but it would take until the 19th of April for another victory to be secured (3-0 against Enfield Town), and Isthmian League status to be preserved.

Season Opponents Competition Venue Score Result
1877-78 South Norwood Friendly Away 2-1 Won
1899-00 West Ham Garfield South Essex League Division 1 Home 3-0 Won
1900-01 London Welsh Friendly Home 7-2 Won
1906-07 Fulham Southern League Division 1 Away 2-1 Won
1923-24 Custom House London League Premier Division Home 4-1 Won
1928-29 Yorkshire Amateurs FA Amateur Cup Home 4-0 Won
1934-35 2nd Middlesex Regiment Essex Senior Cup Home 7-1 Won
1945-46 Redhill Athenian League Away 3-3 Drew
1951-52 Dulwich Hamlet FA Amateur Cup Home 4-2 Won
1956-57 Wealdstone Athenian League Home 4-1 Won
1966-67 Dagenham East Anglian Cup Away 2-3 Lost
1979-80 Windsor & Eton FA Vase Away 0-2 Lost
1981-82 Grays Athletic Athenian League Away 4-1 Won
1992-93 Collier Row Essex Thameside Trophy Home 2-0 Won
1998-9 Clacton Essex Senior Cup Home 1-2 Lost
2001-2 Horsham Isthmian League Division Two Away 2-3 Lost
2007-8 Ware Isthmian League Division One North Home 0-2 Lost
2012-13 Potters Bar Town Isthmian League Division One North Away 1-1 Drew

Other Articles

Preview: Stansted (H)
The Tree Surgeon