Tower Hamlets 0-4 Walthamstow

Goals from Dwade James, Steven Carvell, Ollie Fortune and Lewis Francis gave Walthamstow a 4-0 win over Tower Hamlets as they leap-frogged Saffron Walden into second. A dominant performance from Stow saw them keep a clean sheet whilst increasing their unbeaten run to 12 games.

The first chance went to Stow as Steven Carvell’s free-kick was deflected wide. Towards the end of the opening ten minutes, there was a small foothold in the game for the home side as they pressured the Walthamstow goal. A shot from their number 9 was blocked before somehow the ball hadn’t found the back of the net when it was played across goal before deflecting off the post and out for a corner.

The deadlock was broken in the 14th minute as Dwade James towered over everyone to head home. Despite Stow taking the lead, there was a real let off when Tower Hamlets managed to kick the ball over the bar from 4 yards out. Six minutes later, the hosts were reduced to 10 men when their 6 was sent off from a deliberate handball as he was the last man.

With a couple of minutes to go before half-time, Stow doubled their lead through Steven Carvell who calmly tucked it past the goalkeeper after being played through to score his first goal for club.

It was Walthamstow who started the second half the quickest but a ball played across the face of goal eluded any touch. Stow thought they had a third when Stanley Mugou took the ball around the keeper and tap it in but the linesman ruled it out for offside. Tower Hamlets had a couple of chnaces in the first 10 minutes of the second half but a shot from distance was well wide and over before a header was just over.

Stow began to dominate the play further with both possession and chances. Benji Crilley headed just wide of the far post before Danny McCullock had three chances but couldn’t find the back of the net; he tried to chip the keeper but he miscued his shot before he cut in and shot and he shot from distance but both chances were saved comfortably by the Hamlets keeper.

Walthamstow had their third of the game when Ollie Fortune scored with his first touch. The keeper came out to try and clear the ball but Fortune managed to slide in before a scuff a shot towards goal. Less than 10 minutes later, Lewis Francis had the pick of the goals to give Stow a 4-0 lead. The new-signing lashed home an unstoppable volley into the roof of the net (followed by a just as impressive back-flip to celebrate).

Despite half-chances for Danny McCullock and Ollie Fortune and a wide shot from distance Hamlets 2 minutes from time, the game ended 4-0.

Other Articles

Player Interviews