Walthamstow 1-1 Enfield Town

Walthamstow finished off their pre-season preparations with a draw against Isthmian League Premier Division side Enfield Town. Although it wasn’t a victory after a good performance, it was enough to show the progress Stow have made since returning to action.

It was a strong start from Walthamstow who looked to get on the front foot quickly. George Lataaya tried to bring the ball forward in the early moments but it was well defended before a trialist headed the ball straight at the keeper from a free-kick. Enfield slowly came into the game as a free-kick from the edge of the box was just over the target and a series of corners brought them close to an opening but their attempts were saved or just over.

Lataaya did well to bring a ball down but was pulled back as he shot, making it comfortable for the keeper. The visitors continued to push as they looked for the opener. A ball across goal was inches away from being poked in before their 10 was almost played but it was collected well by Charlie Mann and a couple of chances were comfortable for Mann. Michael Toner almost added to this collection of goals from distance as he fired one inches wide of the target.

The deadlock was broken just before the half-hour mark when a trialist had a shot deflected onto the post before Charncey Dash tapped the rebounded shot in from close range. The visitors tried to respond quickly but good defending prevents them from doing so. A shot was blocked on the line before a driving shot was well held. Charlie Mann made another fantastic save before the rebounded effort was sent wide. Both Dash and Toner came close to adding to the lead but their shots were either comfortable for the keeper or just wide.

Both sides tried to start quickly in the second half but neither could create the chances. Enfield had a few shots which were well defended. A shot was blocked on the line before another was blocked in the box and the rebounded effort was sent wide.

Stow thought they had doubled their lead when a trialist headed the ball past the keeper but it was ruled out for offside. Walthamstow continued to come forward as they began to dominate again. A trialist came close to scoring once again but the acrobatic effort was tipped just past the post.

With less than 15 minutes to play, Enfield were awarded a generous penalty for handball and their 8 converted it despite Mann getting close to saving it. Tommy Fletcher headed an effort just wide before Jon Clements was played through but couldn’t get his shot off and sent the eventual effort just wide. Enfield were reduced to 10-men after a nasty challenge on a trialist saw their 15 sent off. Fletcher tried another attempt at a header but it was well caught before Enfield rattled a shot against the post before the rebounded attempt was tipped over by Mann.

Other Articles

Stow TV
Player InterviewsPlayer Movement