On this day – 1 September

Our earliest recorded game on this date came in 1906 when we lost 1-0 to Brighton & Hove Albion in the Southern League. 5,000 were in attendance despite the ‘excessive’ heat, and it looked like the game was heading for a draw until Proctor Hall nicked the points for The Seagulls late on.

Then for two consecutive years; 1908 and 1909 we played Croydon Common; once in the Western League and once in the Southern League. The 1908 game saw a much-changed Leyton side draw 3-3 thanks to goals from Buchanan, Peak and Ryder. A year later, three second half goals helped Leyton to a 5-2 victory in front of 5,000.

We’ve played four FA Cup ties on this day, and haven’t tasted defeat yet. In 1979 Barton Rovers were beat 3-1, and five years later Burnham were beaten 1-0. Unfortunately, Leyton-Wingate lost in the next round on both occasions.

In 1914 Leyton started the season with a 4-2 win over Pontypridd, but would only play seven more games before a combination of the First World War and dwindling attendances forced this incarnation of Leyton to fold.

In 2001 we travelled to Burnham Ramblers where goals from Billy Cove and Jay Notley helped Leyton Pennant to victory over Essex Senior League opposition. Cove headed home from a Jamie Richards cross with six minutes played, but it took a fine performance from Russell Ling in the Pennant goal to keep the score down before Scott DeGaris and Notley combined well for the latter to make it 2-0.

In 2007 we drew 1-1 with Wellingborough Town at Wadham Lodge. Danny Honeyball’s side won the replay 2-0 thanks to goals from Jeff Hammond and Chris Akinrele, but were then beaten by Wealdstone.

Our last game on this day came two years ago when we hosted Takeley in the FA Vase (pictured above and left). We’d lost 4-1 to Takeley just a couple of weeks before in the league, so it looked like another difficult afternoon would be in store. There was a bright start from Stow when James Peagram netted after just six minutes, but he was ruled offside.

Takeley then took the lead, and things got worse when Ryan Maxwell was sent off just before half time. Stow equalised sith six minutes to go with a fine finish from Peagram, but 30 minutes extra time proved to be too much for Stow, losing 3-1.

Other Articles

Player InterviewsPlayer Movement
2020-21 Programmes