Walthamstow 1-2 Stansted

Walthamstow were defeated in their second league game of the season at the hands of Stansted. A goal from Charncey Dash wasn’t enough as the visitors came from a goal down to claim the three points.

Right from the off, both sides tried to get onto the front foot. David Cowley found space but his shot was well held by Jarvis Monk. Stansted also had chances in the opening minutes. A header was tipped over the bar by Charlie Mann before a shot into the ground was well held. Both sides battled well by neither could create many chances.

Walthamstow were awarded a penalty when Callum Ibe was kicked with a high boot. Despite the shouts of ‘off’ by the crowd, the referee awarded the offender a yellow card. Dash stepped up and slotted home the penalty, putting Stow ahead. Walthamstow tried to play a long ball up to Dash and Jon Clements but it was well dealt with by the visitors.

The visitors had a period of dominance as they looked for an equaliser. A low cross was blocked by Jon Hosking before former Stag Ryan Ramsay had a shot from the edge of the area well saved by Charlie Mann and a shot was driven in but again, it was blocked. Stansted came close to scoring when a free-kick was flashed across goal but it was narrowly missed at the back post. The pressure paid off as the visitors equalised. Miscommunication between defender and keeper allowed Stansted to poke it home.

Despite conceding, Walthamstow got back onto the front foot. A cross from Cowley was well collected by Monk before a free-kick from James Hammond was headed back towards the box by Dash but it was cleared. Stansted’s Jack Mitchell drove a low free-kick towards goal but it was well held before a shot from Dash on the turn was saved comfortably.

It was the visitors who had the better start to the second half as a shot was dragged wide in the opening minutes. Walthamstow began to dominate soon after as they looked to retake the lead. A volley from Jon Clements was fired over before a touch from Callum Ibe took the ball right through to the keeper. Stansted were briefly reduced to 10-men as Ramsay was sent to the sin-bin.

Walthamstow tried to make the extra man count as they continued to come forward. A run-in from Ibe saw his shot go just wide before he pulled the ball back to Dash who rattled his shot against the crossbar. A second attempt from Michael Osei was fired just over. As the game reached the final 15-minutes, Stansted began to push. A shot was deflected just wide before they had taken the lead. A ball was whipped in from a corner and headed past Mann.

Stansted tried to hold onto the ball as long as possible whilst Stow tried to push forward. Connor Scully made a good run but the ball was intercepted before he could shoot. Walthamstow tried to play through the Stansted defence but they couldn’t find the right pass. A free-kick from Cowley was aimed for the head of Reece Conway, but the keeper caught well before a head from Michael Toner was well held in added time.

Other Articles

Player Interviews