Walthamstow 1-1 Cockfosters (Stow win 3-2 on penalties)

Walthamstow progressed to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup after beating Cockfosters in a penalty shootout after the game was level after 90-minutes. A goal from Jason Beck was not enough as Cockfosters equalised late on to send the game to a decider.

It was Stow who started the quickest but they couldn’t find the breakthrough, with the visitors keeping the Stags at bay in the first 10-minutes. Michael Osei tried to find Jon Clements but his pass was intercepted before a good run and shot from Connor Scully was fired just over the bar. David Cowley was denied by a finger-tip save after his free-kick from the edge of the box almost crept into the top corner before a shot from Vinny Murphy was curled wide of the target.

Cockfosters came into the game more towards the end of the first half with their first real chances. A free-kick was fired straight at Charlie Mann before they were awarded a another free-kick on the edge of the box after the Stow keeper was adjudged to have handed the ball. The free-kick was driven in but cleared well. Scully got away from his man once again on the left but overshot his cross before a header from Beck was inches wide of the target. Right at the end of the first half, Stow had shouts for a penalty waved away after Charncey Dash’s feet were taken from under him.

Walthamstow also made a strong start to the second half as they tried to break the deadlock in the first minute. Dash tried to feed the ball through to Clements but it was intercepted once again before a shot from Clements was deflected just wide. The visitors came close to opening the scoring when Mann missed a catch but the Fosters player could only send the ball over the bar.

Stow continued to dominate as they looked for the goal that would put them ahead. Cowley had a shot on the turn but it was tipped round the post before a good run from Osei ended with a shot into the side-netting. Scully also had a good chances when he took a ball from Osei well but the shot was matched by the save of Brad Robinson. Charlie Mann pulled off a superb save to deny Fosters before Callum Ibe couldn’t quite get his cross in and Scully lifted a shot over the bar.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 78th-minute when Jason Beck headed well from a Cowley free kick, sending it past the keeper. Despite scoring, Stow were put onto the back foot in the last 10-minutes as Cockfosters tried to find an equaliser. Mann pulled off a superb point-blank save before the visitors found their leveller. After a game of pin-ball in the box, it was tapped home. Ibe was denied by the feet of Robinson before his second attempt was blocked well and his third was wide of the target before Dash dragged his shot wide in the final moments. The game went straight to penalties.

Cockfosters stepped up to take the first penalty which was scored well by Harley Haag before Charncey Dash levelled the game from the spot. Marcus Crowther was next for the visitors but he was denied by Mann before Sam Jeremiah put Stow ahead. Reece Mosanya temporarily levelled the shootout when he scored past Mann but David Cowley ensured Stow were kept ahead. Charlie Mann saved his second of the shootout to deny Reuben Campbell before Goalscorer Jason Beck then had his penalty saved. Ryan Wade stepped up to try and keep Cockfosters alive in the cup but Charlie Mann pulled off another save, sending Walthamstow through.

Other Articles

2020-21 Programmes
2020-21 Programmes