Walthamstow 2-1 Hashtag United

It was a huge win for Walthamstow on Tuesday as they beat Hashtag United 2-1 at the Lodge. Goals from Vinny Murphy and Michael Toner were enough for the three points as Stow ended the Tags run of 4-wins as they moved up to 5th.

It was a cagey start by both sides as neither wanted to make an early mistake. There was some pressure from Stow in the opening minutes but Hashtag defended well to prevent any chances. The first real chance for Stow came in the 12th-minute when Connor Scully got away from the defender with some good skill but his shot was curled just wide.

Just before the 20-minute mark, Hashtag applied their first bit of real pressure as they got a free-kick but it was comfortable for Connor Sansom before a header from George Smith was just over the bar. Walthamstow were awarded a penalty a couple of minutes later when Jon Clements was fouled by Ashlee Jones in the Hashtag goal but the visiting keeper escaped with just a yellow card. Clements stepped up to take the penalty but Jones got down well and saved the spot-kick.

The deadlock was broken by Hashtag United less than five minutes after the penalty save as the ball fell to Jesse Lassen on the edge of the box and he fired past Sansom. Stow didn’t drop though as they continued to come forward, looking for the equaliser. Clements broke through the back-line but fired his shot into the side-netting before Scully twisted and turned away from the defender but his shot was deflected behind.

There were shouts for another penalty as Callum Ibe went down under the challenge of the keeper at the corner but it was waved away before the second attempt at the corner was swung in but the referee blew for a foul on the keeper.

Just before half-time, Lee Hursit curled a shot just wide from distance and a series of corners for Hashtag were well defended while a header from Jason Beck was caught on the line.

Walthamstow came out the quickest in the first half as another header from Beck was comfortable for the keeper. A minute later, Hashtag were through but Sansom made a good save to deny the visitors a second goal but it was Stow who continued to dominate.

A header from Michael Toner was deflected behind for corner. The resulting corner was launched towards the front post and headed into the goal by Vinny Murphy to bring the game level. The goal gave Walthamstow confidence as they attacked the Hashtag goal. A shot from Ibe from distance was dragged wide. A shot from the Tags was well held by Connor Sansom before Ibe was almost through but the ball bounced kindly into the keepers hands.

A header from Charncey Dash was just wide before Hashtag had a shot blocked on the edge of the box. With 15th to play, Stow were awarded a free-kick on the edge as Emiel Aiken was pulled back. Michael Toner stepped up to take it and rattled it against the post and in to give The Stags the lead.

As the game approached the last 10, both Hashtag United and Walthamstow tried to attack. The visitors put Stow on the back foot as they tried to find a late equlaiser but the closest they came was when Josh Osude went on a charging run but it was well defended. Despite playing over five minutes added time, Stow held on to give Hashtag their first defeat of the season.

Other Articles

2020-21Match Reports
Player Interviews