Hoddesdon Town 4-2 Walthamstow

Walthamstow faced another tough night and their third defeat of the season as they were beaten at Lowfield by Hoddesdon Town. Goals from Jason Beck and Connor Scully weren’t enough as the hosts scored four whilst both sides finished the game with 10-men. The win for the Lilywhites moved them up to 4th whilst the Stags dropped to 6th.

It was a strong start for Walthamstow as they pressure from the first whistle. Good play between Callum Ibe and Timo Monsheju saw them link-up well before the ball was laid-off to Jack Folan but his shot was blocked from the edge. Stow continued to pressure in the opening minutes and Ibe was chopped down but the offender was only given a yellow card. A shot from Folan was deflected wide before the deadlock was broken in the 10th-minute. The resulting corner was whipped in by Connor Scully with Jason Beck heading in well at the back post. Monsheju thought he had been played through but he was ruled offside before Hoddesdon went down the other end and scored. Their first real attack of the game saw Ollie Sharman drill the ball across the box before Frazer John slotted home.

Not long after the goal, Stow were forced into an early change as Reece Conway was replaced by Emiel Aiken. A cross from the hosts was well caught by Connor Sansom before Walthamstow were on the front-foot once again. An excellent cross from Scully met Emiel Aiken at the back post but his could only fire his shot back across goal before the ball was cleared before it reached Monsheju and Liam Nugent almost spilt a caught ball with Toib Adeyemi lurking. Hoddesdon Town had a shot fired just wide before Folan was fouled but the Town bench needed a talking to after complaining about the referee’s decision.

Nugent went to punch a ball clear but it met the Kardan Campbell who headed behind his own goal, inches wide of the post. The resulting corner ended in a foul on the Hoddesdon keeper. As the game approached half-time, Hoddesdon created some better chances. A free-kick was blocked on the line before the hosts took the lead. Only their second real attack of the game. A corner was swung in and poked home by Kardan. Jason Beck was booked for a rash challenge on the edge of the box before a scramble to clear the ball was cleared.

The second-half started the same as the first, with Walthamstow dominating the opening minutes. A shot from distance from Michael Toner was fired just wide. A corner for Hoddesdon was well cleared before Vinny Murphy headed just wide of the target. Despite Hoddesdon coming close but the slide of Murphy just putting Frazer John off, Walthamstow sought an equaliser. Michael Osei carried the ball into the box but his shot was comfortable for the keeper before a shot from Toner was deflected wide. The resulting corner was aimed towards Beck but it was deflected out of pay.

The second corner was whipped in but a powerful shot from Timo Monsheju was blocked. The Stags continued to apply the pressure but they couldn’t find a way through the resilient defence. A cross from Connor Scully was overhit before a scramble in the box was cleared. Against the run of play, Hoddesdon grabbed a third. Ben Quarrington-Carter ran clear through the Stow defence and finished well past Sansom. Walthamstow had a huge chance to pull one back almost immediately but Emiel Aiken fired his shot just wide. Hoddesdon pulled further ahead as Cyrus Babaie was played through and slotted past Sansom to give the hosts a 4-1 win.

Although they had found themselves 4-1 down, Stow continued to try and get back into the game. There were shouts for a penalty as Jon Clements was brought down but the referee firmly waved away all the calls. A minute later, Connor Scully scored. He made a good run down the left-hand side and rolled the ball past Nugent. Vinny Murphy saw his free-kick well held by the keeper. The task got tougher for Stow just before the 80th-minute as they were reduced to 10-men. Jason Beck was showed a second-yellow as he dragged back a Hoddesdon player who tried to get away. The resulting free-kick was just over Babaie at the far-post.

As the game approached an end, Hoddesdon were almost gifted another goal. A throw-in from Murphy was latched onto by Cyrus Babaie was the shot was well blocked. Walthamstow had another shot for a penalty with 5-minutes to play as Callum Ibe was dragged back in the box but the referee ignored the pleas for a spot-kick. In the 90th-minute, Blue Gallagher made a good run but his shot was dragged across the face of goal. Ibe almost pulled another goal back as he tried to chip the keeper but his shot was just wide. Liam Nugent was dismissed for a foul after Ibe had released the ball. Having made all their changes, an outfield player pulled on the jersey. The free-kick from the edge was fired just over by Toner before a header from Callum Ibe was just wide at the far post on the blow of the final whistle.

Other Articles

Match ReportsYouth
2020-21Match Reports