Walthamstow 2-1 Redbridge

Walthamstow built on their win over Sporting Bengal United last weekend with another victory at home as they edged past Redbridge. Goals from Callum Ibe and Dwade James in the first half were enough despite a spirited fightback from the Motormen. The win saw Stow move above Saffron Walden Town into 4th.

Right from the off, Stow dominated as they looked to get ahead quickly. Dwade James was played through in the opening minute but denied by the leg of keeper George Martin. With a couple of corners in the opening minutes, Walthamstow put the pressure on the Redbridge defence but couldn’t make the most of their chances, with the visitors trying to break following the second corner. They made it towards the box, but a Jack Folan intervention prevented any shot.

Callum Ibe came close when he got onto the end of a Harrison Carnegie cross, but his effort was blocked. A couple of minutes later, he put Walthamstow ahead as he guided a free-kick from Carnegie into the top corner with his head. The goal gave Walthamstow confidence as they continued to dominate in the first half.

Michael Toner tried his luck from distance as he spotted the keeper off his line, but his effort was just over the bar before James was played through but couldn’t bring the ball down and a flicked header was safely into the hands of the keeper. Ibe ran through and picked up a loose ball but Martin stood tall to save well from the Stow forward before debutant Carnegie made a good run but his cross was deflected out of play.

Redbridge had a rare attack as James Barlow tried to lob Jake Alley but his effort was just over the bar before Josh Sykes flashed a ball across the face of goal minutes later.

As the game approached half-time, Stow had a penalty as Carnegie was brought down by keeper George Martin. Dwade James stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to double Walthamstow’s lead. Both Connor Scully and James ran through on goal but their efforts saved before the Motormen keeper almost conceded as he punched a corner poorly but the visitors managed to clear.

Walthamstow had the first chance of the second half as Callum Ibe had a shot from the edge of the box but he effort was dragged just wide of the far post. Despite the chance for Stow, Redbridge got the next goal. A corner was whipped in and led to a scramble with Josh Sykes pulling one back for the visitors.

Walthamstow got a foothold in the game as they looked to restore their two-goal lead but they couldn’t find the target.

Stow had a series of corners but couldn’t hit the back of the net with Jason Beck coming closest as he headed just over the bar. Redbridge had more opportunities in the second-half as Stow allowed them time on the ball. Terry Amoafo ran through on goal but Alley made a save as he took it from the attacker’s feet before Amoafo made another good run, this time Beck made a superb last-ditch tackle to take it away from the forward.

Callum Ibe made a darting run through the Redbridge defence, but his effort was well blocked by Martin. Redbridge then had a great chance to equalise when Jake Alley was put under pressure by Sykes, but the Redbridge attacker sent his effort wide despite taking it around the Stow keeper.

As the game drew to a close, Dwade James had a chance to score from long-range as the keeper found himself stranded but the Stow-man tried to do too much and the chance faded. Redbridge pushed in added time but couldn’t find the equaliser as Stow held onto the points.

Other Articles

2020-21 Programmes
2020-21 Programmes