On this day – 15 September

We should count ourselves fortunate that we are not playing in the FA Cup today. We have played seven FA Cup ties on the 15th of September, but have only won one – and that was the first, in 1955. Barking were beat 1-0 that afternoon, and Leyton would go on to reach the 1st Round Proper, eventually losing to Bedford Town.

It was then a a rough few years. In 1973 Leyton drew 0-0 with Crawley Town, and six years later Ware were the victors by two goals to one.

A draw with Chesham United followed in 1984 and it was another draw in 1990, this time with Billericay Town. Sadly Leyton-Wingate lost both the replayed games.

In 2001 Leyton Pennant made the trip to the seaside, and fancied their chances against Clacton after beating Burnham Ramblers in the previous round. That confidence was short-lived though, as Clacton ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

In 2007, Danny Honeyball’s 0-0 experts travelled to Wealdstone in the FA Cup, set up to try and get a replay back at Wadham Lodge. And it almost worked, if not for Peter Dean’s tidy finish. Even sending goalkeeper Jason Willis up for four straight corners at the end of the game couldn’t grab a draw.

The 2012 win over Cheshunt (pictured page 24) was probably one of the best performances for Wale Ojelabi’s side. Corey Whitely was superb all afternoon, as Adrian Clifton drove the side on from midfield. Clifton scored two and Luke Stanley got the other in a 3-1 win. Tony Faulkner, who is now first team coach at Stow was Cheshunt manager on the day.

The 2018-19 game with Hullbridge Sports was a game that even early in the season, showed that Stow weren’t quite ready for that title challenge. James Peagram put Stow 1-0 up, but Jimmy Cox equalised for Sports. Peagram hit the crossbar and missed another sitter, and Jack Leachman also went close.

It was a game which boosted a limited Sports side’s spirit and confidence, something which would carry them all the way to the Essex Senior League title.

Other Articles

Club News