Waltham Forest v Erith & Belvedere


Southern League Cup 2004-5

Wadham Lodge

3 - 1
Final Score
Danny O’Sullivan - 1Dewayne Clarke - 1Karem Bashkal - 1
Game Statistics
0 Yellows 0
0 Reds 0


A somewhat experimental side took the field in this match but finally completed a League and Cup double for the Stags who needed a win under their belt after last Saturday’s less than inspiring defeat.

The first half could not have been more one sided with Forest camped in the Erith half for the majority of the time. Whilst Kanyuka and Clarke attacked at will down the flanks the only problem seemed to be in getting good passes into the penalty box.

It was, howver, Erith who should have gone ahead early in the first half when Tozer’s first time shot from 10 yards skimmed off the top of the home crossbar. The next action of any note came after 17 minutes when James Duncan found Clarke with a long clearance from defence. Clarke cut into the Erith penalty area and shot from 15 yards only to see right back Schillachi clear from his goal line.

Erith’s next chance came on 26 minutes when Abbott had a long speculative shot from about 40 yards after seeing Ameke off his line, happily the effort went just over the bar.

More shots and attacking play from Forest was finally rewarded after 40 minutes When Karem Bashkel got on the end of a low cross into the Erith penalty area and scored from six yards. The half ended with Forest looking for the second goal.

Erith bucked themselves up a bit in the second half and spent more time on the attack they were rewarded on 57 minutes when a seemingly innocuous cross went into the Forest net from a deflection by Forest captain Simon Tickner.

This did nothing to change the complexion of the game and on 65 minute Clarke duly got the killer goal when he somehow lifted the ball over the onrushing Erith ‘keeper Seitsonen. It seemed a n an amazing piece of skill as Clarke had his back towards goal. But then we have to remember that Clarke had scored a similar goal against Erith earlier in the season.

The game was wrapped up on 76 minutes when Danny O’Sullivan, making his debut, joined the attack in the centre right channel, came into the penalty box and sent a low hard shot, through a sea of legs, into the right corner of the net.

Forest controlled the remainder of the match and, having played some really good football once again , were justly rewarded by the result.