Waltham Forest v Fisher Athletic


Southern League Cup 2004-5

Wadham Lodge

1 - 2
Final Score
Ken Charlerey - 1
Game Statistics
0 Yellows 0
0 Reds 0


After going down to an early goal on the sixth minute the Stag’s came right back to show that Fisher are one of those teams that can be beaten, especially at Wadham Lodge.

The opening goal for Fisher arrived by the grace of Steve Watts who was able to run through the hesitant and makeshift home defence. This did not deter the Stags who started to play some good football, especially up the left flank when Sol Henry was to have one of his best games for the club.

The game became an end to end affair with Fisher coming the closer to getting the second by being the more accurate with their shots. The Stags were causing the Fisher defence trouble but having trouble themselves getting accurate crosses in.

The main trouble for the Stags was their profligacy in front of goal, this was highlighted on 26 minutes when Ken Charlery laid off a lovely pass to Paul Armand, on his right. Armand had acres of space but chose to shoot to early and, in the end, the effort was an easy save.

Only two minutes later, it was Charlery again who was bringing people into the game, this time he passed to his right on the edge of the penalty area for the oncoming Alastair Heselton who should have scored but tamely shot at the keeper.

The Stags began to use crosses to some effect, from both sides. This began to show the Fisher defence as one that was not at all comfortable when asked to do some serious defending. On one such occasion, a cross from left to right found Henry who shot, his effort was punched out but another cross came in for Armand who brought a great save from the keeper.

At this stage of the game the Stags were creating many more chances than Fisher and should have been a goal up rather than one down even though Richard Paquette should have scored instead of shooting wide when challenged by Gavin King.

On 39 minutes hat Stags got the goal they deserved after having won a series of corners Charlery burst through the sleeping Fisher defence to volley the ball home from 6 yards.

The last attack of the half was probably the turning point of the game when Panayoutis was injured and had to go off. Charlery was drafted into the defence and Kardal came on up front.

In the second half the Stags looked to maintain the momentum of the first half. Henry, who had an excellent game, almost gave them the lead on 52 minutes when he cut inside his defender and slammed in a right footed shot which bypassed Jerome John and hit the far post rebounding to safety.

Fisher dealt the killer punch on 60 minutes when the home defence was caught flat footed waiting for the off side whistle. Watts waltzed through and scored from close range.

The Stags fought to get back on equal terms and created many more chances than Fisher. In the end, it was not the fact that chances were not being made but that the forwards were wayward with their shooting. All in all, a very good game for the Stags even though they lost.