Bearsted v Walthamstow


Friendly 2020-21
2 - 0
Final Score
Game Statistics
0 Yellows 0
0 Reds 0
0 Saves 0
0 Shots on Goal 0
0 Shots 0


Walthamstow suffered a defeat in their second pre-season friendly after a difficult afternoon in Maidstone. The hosts scored a goal in each half and defended well as they walked away with a win and a clean sheet.

The first half was fairly even. Neither side really dominated play as both looked to start off the better. There was lack of goalmouth action in the first 20 minutes before Sam Jeremiah had the first shot of the game but sent his shot wide from a difficult angle. Despite lack of chances, it was the hosts who made the breakthrough just past the half-hour mark. A poor back pass to Charlie Crowley gave the Bears’ striker an opportunity to run towards goal. Despite being taken out by the Stow keeper, the ball ran through and it was a simple tap-in at the back post as Bearsted went 1-0 up.

The goal woke Walthamstow up as they began to press and seek an equaliser. A cross was whipped in but Jon Clements couldn’t get over it as he flicked it on. Walthamstow were given a scare in the 38th minute when a shot from the host’s number 7 rattled the post and deflected wide before Connor Scully got away down the left but his low cross was collected by the keeper.

The second half was fairly even towards the start as both sides tried to get onto the front foot. Bearsted had the earliest chance when the Bearsted 9 saw his shot from distance fire wide and over. With 65 on the clock, Bearsted scored their second of the game. A shot from distance bobbled past Charlie Mann with the Stow keeper not able to do anything about it.

Walthamstow continued to push as they tried to find a way back into the game. A pull back from George Lutaaya reached Emiel Aiken but it was fired over before Jon Clements flicked a header inches wide of the post and Vinny Murphy almost scored direct from a corner but saw his cross bounce off the crossbar. Despite the pressure from Stow, they couldn’t find a goal. Bearsted thought they had a 3rd after a ball was slid past Mann but it was ruled out for offside before a curling effort from distance had been the keeper but also the post.

Walthamstow came close in added time when Connor Scully rattled a shot against the post which deflected out to Jon Clements but his shot was fired wide.

More photos available here.