Walthamstow v Takeley


Essex Senior League 2019-20

Wadham Lodge

0 - 1
Final Score
Nick Barratt - 1 (83')
Game Statistics
0 Yellows 0
0 Reds 0


A frustrating night on Tuesday saw Walthamstow’s unbeaten run come to an end against Takeley at Wadham Lodge. Both teams battled hard in what was a very close game but a goal in 83rd minute was enough for visitors to take the three points.

It was a quick start from Walthamstow, with the first attack coming 30 seconds into the game, although the goalkeeper was able to collect the ball comfortably before a shot from Dwade James was miscued and sent wide. Takeley’s Glen O’Hanlon found some space but dragged his shot just wide in the opening minutes.

Neither side had long spells of possession as they battled away in the midfield. The ball fell in the box for Dwade James but his shot was blocked before Lewis Francis also saw his shot blocked from the edge of the box. As the game approached half-time, there were a couple of chances for Takeley but Mitch Das’ shot was wide and another shot was comfortably saved by James Bransgrove.

Coby Miles was sent to the sin bin for dissent and Takeley were down to 10 just before half-time. Despite a chance for either side, including an acrobatic save from the Stow keeper, the teams went into the break level.

Neither side had the quickest start to the second half, but there was a penalty shout for Stow when Benji Crilley was brought down but the referee waved away all shouts. Benji Crilley then found himself in a good position is the box but fired his shot over before Takeley fired a warning shot when the ball was dragged just wide. Takeley found the break through in the 83rd minute when a shot from the right side of the Stow box was fired past James Bransgrove.

Stow tried to push for an equaliser late on as the clock counted down and ticked over into injury time. A couple of corners were cleared and attacks thwarted with Jamie Bennett seeing his header tipped over the bar by Matt Gill. The referee brought proceedings to an end to confirm Stow’s first league defeat this season.