Kempston Rovers 2-3 Stow

Stow’s three away games on the spin after Christmas have produced nine points, and some of the best attacking football seen all season. The latest victory against Kempston Rovers was a lot more comfortable than the scoreline suggests, as Nicky Ironton’s side made the most of the wind and driving rain.

It took a little while for the game to get going; both sides feeling out the conditions, but ten minutes in Kempston broke and James Hatch tested Stow keeper Brad Robinson with a powerful effort from the edge of the box which Robinson turned around the post.

That chance woke Stow up, and a couple of minutes later Te Wihongi was unlucky not to put his side 1-0 up, heading against the crossbar from a Demaray Anyadike corner. It didn’t matter though, as Stow were soon ahead. Rovers keeper George Rose shanked a goal kick directly to Duncan Culley, who’s first touch deflected the ball straight to Callum Ibe. Ibe advanced on goal, but Rose, eager to make up for his mistake, rushed towards Ibe and wiped him out giving the referee no option but to point to the spot. Rose guessed the right way, but Culley’s penalty was far too powerful.

Culley then went close to making it two, forcing a great save after a neat turn and shot in the box. But on 38 minutes Rovers levelld, Lee Cooksey heading in at the back post after a bit of pinball in the Stow box following a corner.

Stow came out for the second half like a freight train, and were soon ahead. Bilal Sayoud, only on the pitch for a couple of minutes saw his corner cleared but followed up the loose ball with a curling effort which flew past everyone and into the bottom corner.

Jordan Watson then forced another good save from Rose, before Stow were awarded their second penalty of the evening when Rose took down Fabion Simms. Sayoud smashed in the spot-kick for his second of the evening.

The chances continued to fall Stow’s way, with Watson, Anyadike, Simms and Carl Mensah all going close, but Rovers threatened to make the additional time a lot more nervy than it should have been when Olu Aderoju headed in unmarked on 91 minutes to make it 3-2. But Stow managed the remaining three minutes to perfection, keeping the ball in the Rovers defensive corner.

Other Articles

Thame United 0-1 Stow
First Team