Kidlington 0-1 Walthamstow

Walthamstow moved into the play-off positions for the first time since the opening day of the season, with a hard-fought win over fifth-placed Kidlington.

When the two sides met earlier in the season, Stow were without a manager and looked devoid of ideas and desire. This encounter was a totally different affair, with Stow dominating, and creating enough chances to deserve more than a one-goal win.

The only survivors in Stow’s starting line-up from the first game were Callum Ibe and Demaray Anyadike, as Nicky Ironton’s signings have revitalised the team. This evening there were returns to the eleven for Te Wihongi, Kai Davis, Dan Green and Jared Small, replacing Jack Green (suspended), Duncan Culley (injured), Alex Harris and Fabion Simms.

Stow started on the front foot and could have had another early goal when Callum Ibe’s cross found Demaray Anyadike at the back post. But from a tight angle, the Stow winger could only fire straight at Connor Johns. This woke up the home side, and after getting in behind, John Dennis shot across Bradley Robinson, but the Stow keeper was able to get a hand on the ball to divert it around the post.

In what proved to be an end-to-end first half, Stow had the next chance. Ibe picked up a loose Kidlington pass on the edge of their box and volleyed first time towards goal. Connor Johns couldn’t grasp Ibe’s initial effort, but recovered brilliantly to block Sayoud’s follow-up effort. A ball from deep was headed out for a corner by a Kidlington defender, who then left Carl Mensah unmarked and with the easy task of heading in from six yards.

A momentary lapse at the back almost cost Stow when Connor Ferguson was given the space to shoot, but Robinson saved brilliantly one-on-one. Up the other end, Stow should have doubled their lead when Anyadike’s one-on-one effort was saved, and then Ibe put the rebound wide. Just before half time Ferguson was shown a yellow card for a deliberate hand ball; slapping in a cross past Robinson.

Stow controlled the game much better in the second half, with Bilal Sayoud and Anyadike giving them real trouble on either wing. Jordan Watson was inches away from hooking in a deep cross, and Te Wihongi also went close with a back post header.

The nearest Stow came to a second half goal was when Anyadike’s corner somehow clipped the inside of the near post before rolling across the goal line and out for a corner.

Kidlington were being limited to unthreatening shots from outside the box; coming closest – but still some way over – when Ferguson volleyed wayward from the edge of the box on 86 minutes.

There was still time for a few nervous moments after Stow were reduced to ten when Watson picked up a second booking for a pull in midfield. But the added time was well-managed, and Stow saw out the rest of the game to earn three points on the road.

At full time, Ferguson was shown a second yellow card for dissent. One of the Kiddlington management was also booked for his reaction at the end.

Other Articles

Ware 4-6 Walthamstow