Thame United 0-1 Stow

Stow made it back-to-back away wins with a dogged performance in awful conditions against Thame United. There was a debut for Duncan Culley, and a first start for Jared Small, while Callum Ibe dropped to the bench due to illness.

Nicky Ironton’s men started brightly, and could have been ahead as early as the sixth minute when the ball found its way to Small at the back post, whose turn and first time shot was well saved by Craig Hill. This spurred Thame into life though, and they immediately broke, Daniel West forcing a good one-on-one save from Bradley Robinson.

Demaray Anyadike picked up where he left off from Stow’s last game, and skinned Thame left-back Harrison Mepham, but saw his initial effort and a follow-up shot both saved by Hill. Mepham found his name in the book for his attempts to take Anyadike down in the build-up.

In what was becoming a familiar pattern in the first half, Stow had a chance with Culley heading just over, followed by Thame breaking from a Stow free kick and forcing Robinson into another good one-on-one save.

The home side started the second half on top, and it was only thanks to some “bodies on the line” defending from Stow that the scores remained level. Stow’s committment was rewarded ten minutes into the half though, when Carl Mensah held off his marker and towered home from an Anyadike corner.

Thame were throwing bodies forward in search of an equaliser, which Stow exploited time and time again, with Anyadike in particular finding plenty of room out wide. Unfortunately, his usually-accurate crossing evaded him and couldn’t quite pick out anyone in the box, or saw his goal-bound efforts saved.

The closest Stow came to doubling the score-line was when Kieran Turner fired a fierce shot from the edge of the box which Hill did brilliantly to turn around the post.

As the rain fell ever-heavier Thame continued to search for the leveller, but the closest they came was when Robinson acrobatically tipped a header across goal over. The Stow defence was a match to everything thrown at them, and forced Thame to just cross the ball harmlessly past the back post.

Eventually, after over 100 minutes the referee called an end to proceedings, sending the traveling Stow support home happy, if somewhat wet.

Other Articles

Player Movement